Please see below for answers to a variety of frequently asked questions. If you cannot find the answers to your question(s), please feel free to email cupe4580@uwindsor.ca.

I have a complaint or concern about my rights under the Collective Agreement. Who do I contact?

You can find a list of Union Stewards here. Stewards will receive complaints from our members, and assist you through grievance procedures, if necessary.

I have a concern about my rights as a student. Who do I contact?

CUPE Local 4580 is a union representing students working as GAs and TAs. If you have a concern about your employment, please contact us. If you have a general student-related concern, please contact the Graduate Student Society, who represents all graduate students.

How do I know if I qualify for a GAship or TAship?

CUPE 4580 represents students workers under the following classifications: TA I, TA II, TA III, Masters I, Masters II, and PhD. To understand where you fall, please refer to Article 1 of the Collective Agreement.

How much will I get paid?

The pay rates effective until August 31st, 2019 can be found in “Schedule A” (pg. 24) of the Collective Agreement.

Currently, pay is as follows:
TA I         $19.04/hr                    M I          $26.93/hr
TA II        $20.51/hr                    M II         $36.79/hr
TA III       $26.93/hr                    PhD        $41.00/hr

I am going to deposit my thesis/dissertation before the Phase I deadline so I can get my full tuition refund. Can I still be a Graduate Assistant?

The short answer is no. If you complete all of your requirements before the Phase I deadline, and are no longer registered as a student, you forfeit your right to a GAship.

I have been denied a GAship or TAship that I believe I should have been granted.

As per Article 12.08 of the Collective Agreement, you should request the reason for your rejection in writing. If you still believe you were wrongfully denied the position, or if the response is not given within 10 working days, please email your Steward or cupe4580@uwindsor.ca.

When and where are the General Membership Meetings?

Membership meetings are held at 6pm on the first Wednesday of October, November, February, and March. Locations will be announced closer to the meeting dates.

I am interested in being on the Executive Committee. How do I do that?

Elections are held in February each year. You can complete a nomination form and submit it at the General Membership Meeting in February.